Accessibility Statement for Pearson Assessments
Pearson Assessments Business
Pearson is the world’s leading learning company with expertise in a variety of assessments. Our products and services are used by millions of test takers around the world every day.
We provide a wide range of assessments and related services for a variety of education and testing purposes. Thousands of employees collaborate on Pearson’s assessments, including educators, research scientists, content specialists, and technology experts. We partner with educators, test owners, states, and districts to develop new, personalized ways of learning through effective, scalable assessments that measure real-world skills and inform instruction.
Accessibility Vision, Mission and Belief
The vision of Pearson’s Assessments Business is to achieve equitable access for all test takers, including people with sensory, physical, and cognitive impairments. Accessibility in our products and services means that websites, tools, materials and technologies are designed and developed so that people with disabilities can use them.
For this reason, our mission is to create accessible solutions that work well for everyone. This mission is based on our belief that for people to be lifelong learners they need and deserve equitable access to learning.
Implementation Approach & Progress
A core component of our implementation approach is to provide a shared service team of accessibility experts to support equitable access in product development across the Assessment Business. This team enables Assessment to make improvements in accessibility by:
Supporting strategic efforts that include:
- Working towards complying with international accessibility guidelines
- Designing and delivering accessibility training
- Maintaining best practice resources for accessible design and testing
Providing accessibility services that include:
- Product evaluations that incorporate iterative quality assurance testing with assistive technology
- Development and maintenance of accessibility documentation through Voluntary Product Accessibility Templates (VPATs) / Accessibility Conformance Reports (ACRS)
- Leadership support for Pearson Able, our internal Employee Resources Group (ERG) for employees with disabilities
Conducting research and technical discovery that includes:
- User studies with people with disabilities
- Active involvement in standards development through the World Wide Web Consortium's Web Accessibility Initiative and IMS Global
- Working with advocacy organizations
Accessibility Guidelines and Specifications
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
IMS (Instructional Management System) Global Learning Consortium
Many countries have incorporated components of various accessibility
standards and guidelines and codified them into law, policy, or
regulation. Pearson’s goal is to stay abreast of accessibility
regulations in the countries in which we do business, and one
resource we use is the W3C - Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Web Accessibility Laws & Policies.
Accessibility Assistance for Pearson Assessment Products
Further and ongoing accessibility efforts are underway. If you have questions about a specific product or service in the Pearson Assessment Business please contact us.
This Accessibility Statement was last updated on 08/17/2020.